Kevin Lamoureux, National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation, shared a moving keynote address which shed light on how this work of relationship building and collaboration directly addresses the Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action.
The Forum concluded with participant reflection on areas to prioritize for ongoing work in Indigenous – local government collaboration. Top recommendations include:
- Creation of virtual regional centres of excellence for Indigenous – local government collaboration;
- Ongoing support for CEDI and CIPP;
- Education on governance and jurisdiction of Indigenous and local governments;
- Greater engagement of youth and Elders; and
- Exploring opportunities to engage the provinces and corporations in the work.